There are many ways on how to open a coconut. You can open it using a machine, a bolo knife, a hammer or throwing it on the wall. Kidding aside, what I know is the way using a bolo.
Sweet coconut milk
Here are the steps:
- Get a fresh coconut, preferably one that is directly picked from the tree.
- Hold the coconut on the stem and gently slice the hard part of the coconut husk to see the soft part of the husk. In this way, you’ll be able to remove the white coconut husk slowly. You can only take half of it if you want.
- Then, when you see the harder part of the coconut or what we called the shell, slowly crack a small portion of the coconut shell using your bolo and drain the juice out.
- After extracting all the juice out of the coconut, you can now break the coconut in the middle for you to get the white meat inside.
- After breaking the coconut into two, enjoy the white meat inside and drink its sweet juice.
Opening a coconut looks easy but it’s harder as it looks. Here’s an action shot!
Opening a coconut with a big knife