Okay you’re probably going “WTF is THIS!?” but hey, don’t knock it until you try it. I’ve seen other crazy but tasty stuff like Thai Moo Kata (with… fish balls) or even ice cream ramen (yeah – not tasty). This is a recipe for making a unique food from the Philippines that will surely leave an impression on your dinner guests! Kare-kare is a Philippine stew. It is made from peanut sauce with a variety of vegetables, stewed oxtail, beef, and occasionally offal or tripe. No Filipino fiesta is complete without some flavorful kare-kare. In some Filipino-American versions of the dish, oxtail is exclusively used as the meat.
Kare-kare (Ox tail in peanut butter sauce)
- 1 pc 0x tail (1 ½ kilo)
- 10 cup boiling water
- 10 cup cold water
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- 2 pcs onion, minced
- 4 pcs tomato minced
- 2 tbsp annato
- 1 cup tap water
- 4 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 peanut butter sauce
- ½ K of Bokchoy
- ¼ K green beans, cut into 1″ long
- ½ K hyacinth bean, cut in 2″ crosswise
- ½ K Winged beans, cut in 2″ long and thick
- 1 pc long string beans, cut in 2″ long and thick
- 1 pc eggplant cut in 2″ long and thick
- 1 pc banana heart, cut in 2″ long and thick
- 1 head cabbage, cut in 2″ long and thick
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- salt to taste
For the Ox Tail
- Put the cut ox tail in a boiling water.
- Let it simmer for 7-10 mins.
- Drain the ox tail.
- Clean the ox tail, remove the hair from the skin.
- Wash again and rinse thoroughly.
Saute’ the Ox tail
- Saute’ garlic, onion and tomatoes in cooking oil.
- Cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir Occasionally.
- Add the ox tail.
- Cover and simmer for another 3 minutes.
The last procedure:
In a pot, pour in the sauteed ox tail. Pour in the cold water and cover. Cook it in a very high fire. When it is already boiling, stir it and lower the fire. Cover and simmer until tender. Stir it occasionally until the bottom of the pot to avoid the ox tail from sticking. When the oxtail is tender, add the peanut sauce (kare-kare sauce). Mix the annato in a cup of water and drain the colored mixture, Add the mixture on the pot with the ox tail.When it is boiling add the hyacinth beans, winged beans, long string beans and Banana heart. Cover and simmer for mins. Add the peanut butter, stir and add green beans and eggplant. Cove and wait for 3 mins. Then add the cabbage, bokchoy, season with salt to taste. Stir it and lower the fire. Let simmer for another 3 mins. Serve hot with Sauteed shrimp paste.
A video from YouTube about how to make kare kare
See more videos here.
(photo credits: source)