How to fix svchost.exe 100% CPU usage

svchost.exe 100% CPU usage and then my PC crashes (Solution)

Holy crap… my computer has been FREAKING out this week and I have no idea why. So I did the alt+ctr+delete and took a look at the running processes. svchost.exe was going crazy and using 99-100% of my CPU all the time! If I clicked on end task it would come back a few minutes later… not to mention the beautiful look of Windows XP got messed up after I ended the task (and you know how everybody wants their Windows to look slick). So I did some searching and searching and searching and tried many different things…

The problem
Here’s why svchost was using so much of my CPU. The culprit is Windows Update! I had automatic updates on and svhost would flip out.

Here’s what didn’t work for me:
* I tried to do Windows Update manually. My computer just froze up, nothing would happen after a few minutes, my PC got really hot.
* I tried a patch from Microsoft, but I didn’t bookmark it. I also read this…
Link: Microsoft Support
Description: FIX: When you run Windows Update to scan for updates that use Windows Installer, including Office updates, CPU utilization may reach 100 percent for prolonged periods

Here’s what I did…

Part 1 of the svchost fix
Correct Services Setup
1. Click Start -> Run, type “services.msc” (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.
2. Double click the service “Automatic Updates”.
3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option “Local System Account” is selected and the option “Allow service to interact with desktop” is unchecked.
4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.
5. Click on the tab “General ” and make sure the “Startup Type” is “Automatic”. Then please click the button “Start” under “Service Status” to start the service.
6. Repeat the above steps with the other service: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

Part 2 of the svchost fix
Re-register Windows Update components and Clear the corrupted Windows Update temp folder.

1. Click on Start and then click Run,
2. In the open field type “REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL” (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
3. When you receive the “DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded” message, click OK.
4. Please repeat these steps for each of the following commands:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Part 3 of the svchost fix
After the above steps are finished, since temporary folder of Windows Update may be corrupted, we can refer to the following steps to rename this folder so a new one will be created.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window. “net stop WuAuServ” (note, you might need to reboot before the net stop command will work… I did not have to reboot)
2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SDold.
4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.
net start WuAuServ

You could always upgrade to the latest version of Microsoft Windows!

After I did all of this I rebooted my PC. I haven’t activated Windows Automatic Updates. I then did Windows Update manually and updated my PC. Everything is now working just fine.

Latest Comments
  1. Paul B November 23, 2013
    • Tim December 11, 2013
  2. Haywood Jablowmie September 17, 2013
  3. JimH September 8, 2013
  4. ad September 2, 2013
  5. tazruby2000 August 11, 2013
  6. edwards April 4, 2012
  7. Edson September 13, 2011
  8. BobMonahon August 10, 2011
  9. Jordan July 20, 2011
  10. Admin (HowToHacks.com) February 8, 2011
  11. Andrew February 8, 2011
  12. Cliff February 8, 2011
  13. JC February 8, 2011
  14. Zub February 8, 2011
  15. Leendy February 8, 2011

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *