I’m not sure if you’ve heard about the Internet Snooping bill that was passed by congress recently (PCFIPA of 2011) which was a incorrectly labeled bill. If you’re a U.S. resident, your privacy is at risk big time! ISPs now have to keep all records about you and your online presence for a year so police can review them at any time. Your name, addresses, phone numbers, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, and dynamic IP addresses have to be stored. You can see more about it in these scary articles:
- What You Need to Know About the Internet Snooping Bill (and How You Can Protect Yourself)
- House panel approves broadened ISP snooping bill
So here comes the proXPN VPN Service to save the day! They offer a limited free VPN download (connects to Miami only) as well as an unlimited premium VPN service which is a paid service but worth it and offers unlimited bandwidth, unlimited speeds, and access to all servers. A lot of people might not know what I’m talking about so the rest of this article I’ll talk more in depth about what type of service this is and why a person should use it.
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. A VPN turns your accessible/loggable public network to a private single stream network. Basically it makes one, and only one, secure encryption to the VPN server, and then your traffic goes through the encrypted tunnel. The ISP and the local authorities only see that you’ve made one connection and can’t see other online activity and this prevents the ISP spying on you. Also VPN services don’t fall under this new bill because they are not an ISP. Just remember though… just because it makes things more secure and anonymous, you can not and should not perform illegal actions while using one (credit card fraud, identity theft, hacking, etc).
What if hackers could penetrate the ISP company and steal all of the customer data? That’s something to think about!
In a nutshell, using a VPN service like proXPN is easy. 1) Download 2) Install 3) Connect.
A VPN can be used any time such as when you visit different countries, if you’re on wifi hotspots or at the local coffee shop, or even if you’re at home. Some countries provide security over the internet and block or censor sites you can visit. It works on your computer as well as your smartphone, like Android or iPhone (also on the iPad, and iPod Touch). When I travel I often use 3G from my iPhone as my main source of internet on the road so this works perfect for me.
Why do you need a VPN?
- You download torrents and use P2P networks (if so, do not connect to a USA server. Connect to an international server location. You’ll need to become a proXPN premium customer to do this).
- You don’t want your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to be able to monitor and control your online activities
- You want a more simple and secure solution instead of using a proxy.
- You currently live in a country censors your internet by blocking sites.
- You live outisde of the USA but you want to watch Hulu, other free online network TV, unblock skype, or even us BBC iPlayer.
- You frequently use wifi hotspots and don’t want hackers packet sniffing.
- You want extra privacy, security, and a one click simple solution.
- You travel and your online banking, and even Paypal, limit your account access because you’re coming from an out of country originating IP. Connect to a US server and these problems are solved.
In order to use a VPN you must sign up for a VPN provider and install their software on your computer or follow their sometimes confusing instructions. Usually VPN companies offer PPTP or Open VPN style encryption. But get this… with proXPN you download their software that works on Windows and iOS which let’s you choose at any time… what country you want to connect to… and if you want to connect to OpenVPN or PPTP.
UPDATE OCTOBER 19, 2011 – - – I use the PPTP connection on my iPhone. The default setup connects to the Miami server, but you can change to a server closer to your location by finding the latest listings in the online documentation.
After installing a VPN on your computer, you will be able to use it and be secure all the time without revealing your true IP address. It’s safe and keep you away from attackers, hackers, ISP snoops, and other harmful elements on the web that wants to access your private personal data.
I suggest considering proXPN as your VPN provider. The features are great and they’re always one step ahead of the competition making all VPN users happy. I’ve been using them for over a year now and I have no complaints. They are always adding new servers and improving their software. Their customer support is quick to answer and so far it seems like they listen to their customers, because I’ve seen some new features in the latest software that I wanted added (although I didn’t contact them about this, others must have).
Here are some screenshots of the latest proXPN software for Windows 7.
Newbie Note: You cannot use VPN without an ISP. They work in tango. Have an internet connection then use it with your VPN.
Like I said, the software is always being improved. As of October 4th 2011 the latest update v2.4.10 for Windows OS rocks with these new features:
- There’s now an application style menu bar with menus added
- You can check your account status at any time through the menu.
- proXPN Premium users now have a wide selection of ports they can connect through. (coming soon for mac users).
- Fixes – status checks & remembered settings.